Established in 1966, The University Bookshop (UBS) has been located in the Kate Edger Commons Building on the corner of Alfred and Symonds St since the building opened in 2003. The Bookshop is open from 8:00am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday and from 10:00am – 4:00pm on Saturday.
UBS is owned and operated by the Auckland University Students Association and is proud of its status as an independent university and community focused bookstore. Our mission is to provide University of Auckland students, faculty, staff and administrators with the resources and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence.
Aside from the University of Auckland academic body, UBS also attracts University Alumni, professionals and the general public all eager to appease their academic and literary needs. Other than textbooks, UBS stocks include a wide, hand-picked range of new and backlist general titles, reflecting the diverse book interests of the Auckland University community and general public. The bookshop is also well known for its second hand text service, stationery, fabulous range of gift stationery including journals and notebooks, cards and magazines, and for its friendly atmosphere and good service.
Breadth of customer book interests requires special ordering services and good relations with the gamut of academic and trade publishers and book distributor services. Knowledge of distributor and publisher order response is critical to meeting customer expectations including special orders – a major focus of the staff. For this reason UBS provides special request facilities for ordering New Zealand and international books. If we don’t have the product you are looking for we will place a special order for you and source that product. If we are currently out of stock of one of our regular lines we will place a reservation on that product for you, which will give you priority when that product arrives.
Key services UBS provides:
- A great discount off the RRP on most items in store.
- We buy and sell second-hand textbooks that have been prescribed for the current semester at University of Auckland up to a pre-determined quantity. More information is available in store.
- Price matching policy – If you find a University of Auckland textbook in stock at a competing bookstore, available to purchase for collection on the same day for a lower price, UBS will match that price or refund the difference. Further information is available in store.
- UBS gift vouchers in any denomination you choose. Unlike other book vouchers, these do not expire.
- Delivery of products to every address in the world.
- Online ordering is available to students, staff and the general public. All reasonable efforts will be made to despatch in-stock items within two working days from receipt of order. For out of stock items, customers will be informed of any delays.
- Pick up service – pay online and have your book held for you in store to collect when you are ready.
- Full text lists are available in store and online at the beginning of each semester and contain the latest information on the text books required for each course of study.