AUSA Advocacy

AUSA offers all students access to a free and confidential advocacy service, which is completely independent from the University.

The AUSA Advocates can provide you with advice on academic, financial, or personal issues. We ensure that you are treated fairly and with respect while you study. Besides lending a sympathetic ear, we can offer advice about your rights, university procedures, and refer you to other services you might find helpful. We aim to help improve the quality of student life at the University of Auckland through advocacy, welfare, and advice.

Contact the Advocacy Office to make an appointment, or click here to make an enquiry. Our services are completely free, so don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Our services include:

  • Offer a safe space for you to discuss your concerns, complaints, or issues;
  • Help you understand the university processes for complaints and grievances;
  • Support you to address barriers to achieving your academic goals;
  • Support you with personal issues including harassment and bullying;
  • Provide you with access to financial support;
  • Assist you with general legal advice including tenancy and employment.


If you get a letter from UoA alleging you’ve plagiarised or cheated in your assessment or exam, contact us straight away. We can work with you to provide support, explain the process and accompany you at any meetings or hearings you’re required to attend.

Disciplinary Action

If you do find yourself in the position of having to face a Disciplinary Hearing, contact us straight away. We can help by advising you of your rights, the process and consequences, and we can attend the hearing with you as your support person.

Common Issues

Some of the most common issues we help with include:

Academic Issues

  • Grade disputes, often due to you feeling your work has been marked unfairly or improperly
  • Applying for aegrotat or compassionate consideration where your preparation for or performance in a test or exam has been impaired by some means
  • Academic integrity or misconduct issues
  • Course-related issues such as problems with your lecturer or supervisor, disputes regarding fees etc.

Tenancy Issues

  • Giving advice on your rights under a tenancy agreement
  • Disputes with landlords, flatmates, or neighbours
  • Your rights if you are a student living in a Hall of Residence

Employment Issues

  • Unjust terms of employment and contract disputes
  • Resolving problems with your employer or other employees
  • Issues with workplace bullying or harassment
  • Help with warnings, dismissal, or redundancy

Disputes and Outside Agencies

  • Issues surrounding personal property
  • Steps to take if you have been in an accident including insurance advice
  • Making a claim to the Disputes Tribunal
  • Dealing with outside agencies such as Studylink or Work and Income
  • Referrals for legal advice, or to other groups able to offer you more specific help and assistance