Student Hub FAQ

This page is designed to help you solve common issues. If you need any further assistance with any issues, an advocate is available by appointment here.

Make sure that you know the procedures and policies surrounding academic issues at the University of Auckland. The best way to avoid serious issues is to prevent them from occurring in the first place.

It is often difficult to know who to contact, or what action to take, when facing problems relating to the University. If you have a problem with a course or lecturer you could take the issue to the individual concerned in the first instance. If you don’t feel confident doing this, you can instead:

  1. Firstly, take the problem to your class representative, the lecturer, professional teaching fellow, tutor or supervisor concerned, or the appropriate co-ordinator of undergraduate or postgraduate studies.
  2. Secondly, you can bring the problem directly to the Student Advice Hub, the Graduate Centre and/or the Manager of the appropriate faculty Student Centre.

Click here to find out if you have an academic dispute or complaint.

You are entitled to receive feedback on any work you submit but you are not automatically entitled to have your work remarked or marked by someone else for any reason. You can appeal assessment decisions if the issues raised are not based solely on academic judgement.

So if you feel that the mark has been incorrectly derived based on the assessment criteria, or the feedback you have received does not correspond to the marks awarded, you may be able to dispute this. The first step is to contact the academic responsible for marking your work. This could be your tutor, lecturer, examiner or even your course coordinator.

First of all, look at the marking criteria and the Student Charter which outlines what students can expect in setting assignments, tests and exams and marking procedures and grading systems. See here.

The Teaching and Learning Policy sets out to ensure that the processes of assessment are carried out in a manner that is fair, valid, robust, manageable and relevant. You can find it here.

The University of Auckland offers impaired performance/preparation consideration for students whose grades have been adversely affected by issues outside of their control. Aegrotat consideration may apply in situations related to your health; compassionate consideration may apply in other situations of exceptional circumstance. You cannot re-sit an exam, so you should always attend if at all possible. For any application for aegrotat or compassionate consideration, all your coursework should be well above the minimum pass standard (normally a C+ or better).

Read the aegrotat and compassionate consideration guide here.


Again, you can apply for aegrotat and compassionate consideration if you feel that personal circumstances affected your exam performance or preparation. If something happens that is going to affect your exams, you must see a registered doctor, dentist or counsellor as soon as you can. It’s particularly important to do so on the day of your exam, if you want to apply for consideration for your exam performance.

Read more about aegrotat and compassionate consideration here.


Plagiarism is essentially presenting the work of another as your own. It can occur unintentionally if you are not careful. Proper referencing and citation can help you avoid accidental plagiarism.

Academic integrity is very highly valued by the University of Auckland and it involves honesty and morality. Plagiarism, cheating, and other underhanded practices constitute a breach of academic integrity and are dealt with according to the Student Academic Conduct Statute.The best way to avoid committing academic misconduct is to know what is expected and required of you as a student.

You can read about student academic integrity here.

You can read about academic misconduct here.

Auckland University has cut off dates for fee refunds during regular circumstances, so if you plan on withdrawing for a mundane reason (lack of interest, choosing to take up full time work instead etc), you must do it before the relevant cut off dates. The dates for a full refund are:

  • For single-semester courses: the second Friday of semester;
  • For double-semester/full-year courses: the fourth Friday of the first semester; and
  • For courses at Summer School: seven days inclusive from the start of Summer School.

If you wish to delete after the above deadlines yet get a full refund, you need to provide evidence to show that the reason for withdrawing is medical or exceptional circumstances. It is at the University’s discretion whether you will be granted a refund. Student services fees will not be refunded.

To read about withdrawal dates for 2014 click here.

To view the Student Refund and Fee Policy click here.

To apply for a change of papers click here.

The University of Auckland has regulations for what it calls “academic standing”. If your academic standing is not satisfactory, this can result in restrictions to enrolment (temporary or otherwise). If you are passing less than 50% of your courses over two semesters your academic standing may be in jeopardy and you may need to look at options for academic support (such as tutoring or language enrichment).

Read the regulations for unsatisfactory academic progress here.