Help with financial emergencies from Studylink
If you have an emergency and don’t have enough money to meet your necessary costs, Studylink may be able to help with a grant.
An emergency grant can help in a range of situations. Special conditions apply for all emergency grants. Contact us for more information.
- The Special Needs Grant can help if you have an emergency like urgent dental care (you may have to pay this back).
- The Recoverable Assistance Payment can help with necessary costs like replacing your prescription glasses in an emergency (you’ll have to pay this back).
- The Student Allowance Transfer Grant can help if you have a partner or a child and are in hardship because your Student Allowance has stopped and you’re waiting for your benefit to start.
Your financial circumstances
It’s important to think about whether there are things you can do to improve your financial situation, to help with future expenses. For example, would budgeting advice help?
The reasonable steps you could take to improve your financial situation will vary depending on individual circumstances. They may include arranging automatic payments for bills, consolidating debt to reduce repayment costs and cancelling non-essential services.
Special Needs Grant
The Special Needs Grant is a one-off payment to help out with urgent things like food, bedding and emergency dental or medical treatment. Generally, you may get a Special Needs Grant if you:
- have urgent and necessary needs
- have no other way to meet these costs
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
Recoverable Assistance Payment
Recoverable Assistance is a payment which helps people pay for something they need urgently when they have no other way of paying for it.
Recoverable Assistance has to be paid back but may be paid back in instalments. You may get a Recoverable Assistance Payment grant if you meet the same criteria as for a Special Needs Grant.
This information is a guide only. Please contact Studylink to talk about your individual circumstances.